Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Talk about contrast....

Hello my dear readers! If you stuck with me through that last post...well you must be saints. :)

Today I spent the majority of my time freaking out about my life, and I blame it on Sociology. I'm in this class called Sociology and Social Problems. Sounds cheery right? Well our professor doesn't like textbooks because she thinks they are boring. I secretly rejoiced that I didn't have to buy another needless textbook that will undoubtedly go unread. Instead, she assigns us novels, all of which can be found at the library. Good start to a class, right? That's what I thought too until I picked up the book.

The book in question is called Strapped: Why America's 20-30 Somethings Can't Get Ahead. The title basically explains it all. I spent all of today reading about how the government put minimum wage in tact so that if you worked full time you were guaranteed to not be poor. And how in the good old days college cost 2/3 less than it does now AND the government put out more grants instead of loans. It's all about statistics. More than half of the jobs available are strictly minimum wage. It goes on and on about how basically life sucks for the 20-34 year old. Debt up to our eyeballs and probably never get the career we set out to get and will probably go bankrupt if we have a kid. IT'S DEPRESSING!

So naturally I started to worry a bit. I'm a college student in my senior year. Debt is inevitable! But I don't need to hear from this class, or the book for that matter. Who wants to be told two times a day that your dreams are probably not going to come true? Now I'd like to think myself balanced between a realist and a dreamer. I know these things happen, but you can't kill the dreamer inside of me completely with statistics and sad sob stories which is what I feel like society is trying to make happen.

Then I found this quote...

Worry bankrupts the spirit. ~Berri Clove

BAM!

It's true! We shouldn't let worry get the best of us. Yes, we need to take responsibility for the things in our lives, but you also can't spend all your time dwelling on it because you might miss the good things right in front of us! So I'm going to fill up the rest of this blog with things that made me HAPPY! You should try coming up with a list of 10 things that made you happy today. It'll be harder than you think!

1. My client didn't change her time to 9 AM! (There's a back story on that...and that's just too early anyway!)
2. I have an interview for a job tomorrow!
3. I'm happy people still stuck around after my crazy post yesterday haha :)
4. ANIMAL CRACKERS WERE ON SALE!!!!
5. My friend announced he had a BOGO milkshake coupon for Steak N Shake and he's going to get me one. Dark double chocolate or something like that!
6. My taco's were delicious!
7. I get to see one of my favorite bands/youtubers in RL this October!!
8. Big Brother is on tonight! :) Don't judge!
9. I got ready 10 minutes earlier today so I didn't miss the bus!
10. A friend dropped me off at Wally World so I wouldn't have to drive. How nice!

Phew...that WAS harder than I thought it was going to be. And those all happened today! See, I did have a pretty good day. Sometimes you just have to dig for the gold nuggets.

P.S. Wow...if you read that whole thing, thanks for being a trooper! Hope you didn't get depressed halfway through and stop reading it because it has a happy ending! What a contrast from yesterday's blog. I guess you never know what you're going to get here. That's what makes life interesting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment