Thursday, August 26, 2010

The annoying roommate.

INCONSIDERATE!

There is no other way to describe one of my roommates.  For the purposes of her anonymity, lets call her "u-turn".  To understand how inconsiderate I believe she is, let me preface this with saying that I lost a friend yesterday.  Not a super close friend, but one none the less who inspired me and touched a lot of people.  She was 16.  I was devastated for her and her family.  That's not an understatement.  Maybe I'm just too emotional?  Regardless, I was a wreck yesterday.  I just needed a day to grieve.

My roommates and I all planned on going to a Zumba class and I told them I didn't want to go because I was really upset about something.  I said I didn't want to talk about it, which was true.  How am I supposed to explain to my friends about the online community when they don't understand it?  That's how I knew her.  Maybe some of you can relate.  But my roommates certainly can't.  So I didn't say anything.  It was on my status.  I find it a lot easier to express my hurt emotions in writing rather than face to face because I knew I'd probably end up in tears.  I was locked in my room most of the day, emotionally drained by this blow.  One of my other roommates, let's call her Mickey, finally dragged me out of my room to socialize around 9 or 10.  I was annoyed at the time but slightly grateful that she cared enough about me to get me back on track.  U-turn was doing laundry while me and Mickey were eating ice-cream cake and pretzels in the kitchen.  She walked on by, asked Mickey something, avoided eye contact with me and kept on her business.  This wouldn't bother me any other day.  We're not as close of friends as we used to be, but if one of my friends was going through a hard time I'd at least acknowledge them! Say hi or give them a hug!  Being ignored usually doesn't help a day that's already bad.  Anyway, she said nothing to me, the entire day.  And that's just not how a friend should be.

I think it's time I dropped that friend.  And that's not JUST because of this situation.  If I wrote about how disrespectful and rude this person is I would be writing for the next 3 hours.  Sometimes you just grow apart.  And yesterday it was made perfectly clear that I didn't matter to her anymore and I should just let it go.  It hurts.  I'm sad to see her go.  But I'm hoping for bigger and better friendships to come.

/rant  I'll update later when I have more uplifting things to say.  Sorry these past 2 days have been in the dumps.  I'm getting back to my normal self though so expect happier blogs from here on out!

2 comments:

  1. Having girl friends is a hard thing to do especially when you live with multiple girls. Friends definately do grow apart over time, but if she was a TRUE friend she would have seen that you were upset and tried to comfort you. I don't have many girlfriends anymore..not since Senior Week after graduation. Girls are just way too caddy and filled with drama. My husband is my bestfriend :-) I hope you get back to your happier self soon!

    ReplyDelete