Thursday, November 11, 2010

What I've learned from today...

(This may seem like a girly-post. And I know I have some guy readers, and I'd really like their opinion on this topic too. So read on if you will!)

You know how sometimes you go about your normal day and then all of a sudden your friend laughs at you for no reason? I mean, what's so funny, right? You're not trying to be funny, and for all you know they are laughing at something you did weird or wrong. Well that happened to me today at work to a girl I didn't even know that well.

Let me preface by saying I work at a deli shop to pay my rent for the time being while I'm in school. So once the sandwiches are done I call out the names, smile and give them their order. Friendly customer service, right? Well this lady I'm talking about is basically my manager there. After I call out a name she bursts into a fit of laughter. After asking what is wrong she said "You are just so cute and innocent." I asked her to explain more. She said "You just stand there and smile so innocently, it's cute!" I smile and shake my head. It's weird. I disagree because I wasn't trying to be cute, I was being myself!

"Do I have a cute calling voice?" My friend/roommate Nicky asks.

"No, you have more of a sultry, sexy voice," the manager responds.

"So I'm not sexy?" I respond.

"No," my manager responds. "But that's okay because people like 'cute' too!"

Well in my opinion, people called 'cute' are kind of downgraded I guess when somebody else is called 'sexy' right after them. Don't you think? Or am I just over-reacting here? Because I tried to explain this to them, but they didn't understand. They just kept saying "Just take the compliment!" But it's not a compliment really if someone gets the better compliment after you, is it? In my mind it almost cancels out the other compliment like it didn't really matter.

So I was talking to Nicky about it later because I couldn't stop thinking about it. She reassured me that she agreed with our manager in saying that I was cute, but also agreed the way she did it was awkward. (It really was!) And then we talked about that it's hard to see the 'cuteness' in ourselves when we are looking at others. We tend to compare ourselves to them when really our beauty isn't comparative. It's unique and we should accept it for what it is.

I heard a quote once saying "The qualities that people envy are usually the qualities they already have. That should make us try just a little harder to be ourselves." So I guess what I'm saying is that I might have my cute moments. It's bound to happen. But if I am so envious of someone else, I can't really see that I posses those qualities I want long for too, just in a different fashion. And it does kind of make me want to be myself a little more. Because I think it's better than the opposite happening to me. What I mean is, at least they look at me and laugh instead of look at me and cringe. You know those people I'm talking about. I'm glad I could spread a little happiness to my manager in the long run and I think I can pass that along to all the customers I come in contact at work with too.

So my questions for you dear readers:
1. If you are a guy, what do you think of this? I mean, is it really something guys do? Strive to gain qualities that you see in other guys that you admire?

Commenter shout-out time!
Pro: I seriously LOVE that site you gave me. Thank you thank you thank you! :)
Cole Garret: I got an award from him on his blog. Thanks for reading and commenting Cole! :)

P.S. If you read this far, you are awesome. I haven't posted anything about my novel or my trip to Croatia this summer so I was thinking about doing one of those. Which one would you rather hear about? My few weeks in Croatia or an excerpt from my novel? [and I mean short excerpt]

5 comments:

  1. Okay, let's see. First of all, I understand your feelings, you know, cancelling out your compliment because of Nicky's. You definitely shouldn't take it the wrong way. "Cute" and "Sexy" are on completely different levels, not really even in the spectrum. It's hard to explain. . . . like apples and oranges. You see, if you personally think "cute" is a downgrade from "sexy," it's because you are putting them on the same scale, putting one above the other. In the apples/oranges example, you think the manager is calling you a gala apple and Nicky a Red Delicious. But maybe your manager doesn't think the same way as you. Maybe she's calling YOU a Red Delicious and Nickey a Tangerine. Am I making any sense here?

    As far as striving to be like someone else? I wouldn't say I personally try to be like anyone in particular in my life, no. I'm good at being me, so that's what I do! :)

    Oh, and I'd like to read a novel excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anyone should strive to imitate the good qualities they see in others. Sometimes though, we do it out of jealousy because of the attention that guy might getting.

    As for 'cute' and 'sexy', cute is something someone always is. Sexy or hot are relative to what a person may be wearing, or how they look in the moment. Someone who is hot may not be cute, but a cute person can be hot anytime. Hot or sexy is shallow and outward. Cute is more than about appearance. It has to do with what a person does and says, as well as how they look.

    Have I thought about this too much? I blame it on long car trips with other guys with nothing else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on 20SB. I totally know what you mean- I think. I mean, I have been called "Cute" WAY too many times. For personality and appearance. When I skinny even guys would be like "she's hot" and (in my opinion) she was not and I'd be like what am I? and they would be like "you're cute". UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i definitely won't want someone to look at me and laugh..it's jst weird and makes me feel like they're making fun of me. i won't mind if someone tells me i'm cute, it becomes suspicious if they tell me i'm cute after looking at me and laughing though,lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear about Croatia! I've never been and I'm sure its fascinating :) I get the 'cute' thing too - I get the 'your so cute' comment alot because I'm so short! Like, its not my fault, I can't grow anymore!
    I'm your new follower by the way. I found you on 20SB - 1000 Followers for All.
    My blog is http://potentialmaturity.blogspot.com
    Hope you check it out!
    Cheers
    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete